Friday, February 18, 2011

For the record...and incase you were wondering.

This is how Camden decided to finally make his grand entrance into this world. After trying to be induced the week before, I was a little skeptical of going back in to be induced again. Mostly for fear the same thing would happen and we would be sent home with no baby again. We were assured the chances of that happening, let alone happening again, were very slim. So we decided to go with it and try to get Camden here 1 day after his actual due date. We were told to call the hospital at 6:00 the morning of Tuesday the 8th and they would tell us what time we could come in. Unfortunately they were very busy when we called and they told us to call back around 8:00 and they would have a better idea of when we could come in. We called back at 8, and they said call again at 10. Already things weren't looking good and we were questioning our decision. We kept busy watching price is right and eating breakfast until 10. We called again at 10 and they said can you be here by 10:30. Yeah, finally we could go in. We hurried and got ready and made it to the hospital around 10:45. They were just finishing up cleaning the room for us so we were asked to wait in the waiting room for about 15 minutes until that could be done.
11:00-We were finally admitted into our room. Since we were there last week, the questions to get us checked in were rather minimal because they already had most of the information in the computer already.
11:30-Placement of the i.v. If you remember with Ryland, it took 7, yes count them all, 7 tries to get an iv in my arm. It was a nightmare. We warned the nurse who seemed up for the challenge and she was able to get it on the first try! She was awesome! I now will request her to place my iv for all my kids! :)
12:00-Start the pitocin and try to get as comfortable as possible. You never know how long you could be here. At this point I was dialated to a 3 and Lance and I were happy to hear the babys head was in a good position and would hopefully stay there this time. Our nurse was so much better this time around. She heard our story of being there last week and she said well we are not going to let you leave without a baby today. She was a lot more aggressive at getting the pitocin going and moving it up a lot quicker than the nurse did the week before. Finally after questioning earlier in the day, Lance and I were feeling a lot better about things. We settled in and started playing a mad game of bananagrams, which takes forever to play when there is only 2 of you. Thanks James and Ann for showing us the game so we had something to do for a good hour and a half. It was fun, but Lances kicked my trash at the end of the game. Oh well, better luck next time. All the while we were playing bananagrams, contractions were coming and going but nothing too strong yet. The nurse would come in every half hour to an hour and up the pitocin a little more.
2:30-The resident doctor came in to check me and see if I was at a point to break my water. With Ryland, once they broke my water things went super quick after that. We were hopeful he would be able to and we would have the same results as we did with Ryland. I was dialated to a 4 and unlike last week, the babys head was locked into place and he said we would be okay to break the water. We were so happy.
3:00- I think I might die from the contractions that are stronger. I seriously don't know how people do that without an epidural. You people are amazing, for me though, I was more than ready to request the epidural. Shortly after my request, we were lucky enough to get the ace of the epidural. This guy was amazing and way better than my last epidural. With Ryland, I seriously couldn't feel anything in my legs at all, and couldn't for several hours after he was born. I really didn't feel part of much of what was going on because the doctors and nurses had to basically tell me exactly what to do and almost do it for me because I couldn't move. This time was so different. I could still move my legs, I could feel my legs, I could basically feel everything but the pain of it all. It was amazing and I will be requesting him every time I have a baby too! It was so much more enjoyable to really be more apart of the experience. Anyway, moving on.
3:45-The nurse checks me and I am at a 7. Things were moving nice and steady and we knew it wouldn't be too much longer. She said she would call the doctor and let him know where we were at.
4:15-Contractions are getting super close. The babys heart rate was getting a little crazy and we hear the nurse running down the hall to check on us. Yes, running. They put the oxygen mask on me and that seemed to help with his heart rate. I am at a 9 and the nurse says she is calling the doctor right back and telling him to get on his way.
4:30-I am at a 10 and ready to get going with things. The resident doctor was there and the nurse, getting everything ready and hoping the doctor would be there soon so he would be the one to deliver the baby, not them. They informed me that they knew how to do it, but they prefer the doctor to be there if he could make it. So no big deal, just cross my legs and hope the baby doesn't just come flying out at any moment. Seriously, I felt like if I moved or did anything the baby was going to come right out. Not the most comfortable thing to wait for the doctor to come but I somehow managed while we chatted away with the doctor and nurse. Well mostly Lance chatting away with them and me focusing all my attention on trying to not have this baby before the doctor got there. Finally around 4:55, the doctor got there. They told him he better hurry up and get ready to deliver this baby because we were ready. By the time they had me start pushing, the babys head was basically out. So yes, one push and he was here. So much better than the 1 1/2 hour pushing experience with Ryland. Which again I think it comes back to the epidural and me actually being able to feel something this time and the fact that I waited a half hour for the doctor too.
So Camden was offically born at 5:09 p.m. weighing in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 21 inches long. It was a quick labor and dare I say not that horrible all things considered. I would be okay having all my kids like that. The nurses, resident doctor, my doctor and everyone was great. We even got a post card in the mail the other day from the hospital. All the nurses that looked after us had signed a nice little note on it. It was pretty cool. We were glad to have a much better outcome than the week before too. We are so happy you are here Camden!
Camden with nurse Brittani shortly after being born.

4 comments:

Mike & Melissa said...

Lisa, what hospital were you at? Because I want to request that guy to do my epidural!

~Melissa~

Mike & Melissa said...

Oh, and he's absolutely beautiful!

~Melissa~

Halfords said...

I love birth stories. I'm glad everything went well for you. My epidurals were just like yours. SO so numb the first time and feeling the second. Loved the second!

The Tilley Turf said...

I love reading labor stories. They are always so entertaining! Thanks for sharing! I had to cross my legs and wait for Dr. Wilson, too. Oh man, that was so uncomfortable!