Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Las Vegas Ragnar and Welcome Home Elder Bradley!

Wow, this last weekend sure was a BUSY one! I left on Thursday night to run in the Las Vegas Ragnar Relay. That was hard to leave Lance and Ryland, but it was such a blast. It is a 12 man relay race through the Valley of Fire and Las Vegas totaling 177 miles. You may remember when I posted about Lance running the Wasatch Back in June. It is the same race, only this one was in Las Vegas. I lucked out and got the easiest legs on the course! :) I pretty much needed that considering Ryland is only 6 months old. Anyway, we started racing at 10:30 on friday morning, and we finished at about 11:30 on saturday morning. I had a 3.4 mile leg (27 minutes) a 3.2 mile leg (28 minutes) and a 4.4 mile leg (40 minutes). I was way glad I got to participate. The only damper on the whole race was one team had a team member get hit and was killed by a drunk driver early saturday morning. We didn't see any of it, but we sure have heard about it and it definitely has tugged at our heart strings. So sad, he leaves behind a wife and 3 kids. We wish his family and friends all the best during this difficult time! You definitely feel like the people out on the course are part of your family even if you don't know any of them! Here are some pictures from the event!
Team Shaka Laka at the starting line.Running my first leg.
Waiting for Jenny to run on by. 
Hanging out in our new home a.k.a the van! :)
Welcome to Lake Mead. Natalie will be running by soon! 
Chris on his night run.
Then end for our van. After we all finished running our last legs.
Unfortunately we didn't get to stay for the end to cross the finish line with our whole team. My little brother Brian was returning from his mission that same night. So we finished our runs, got our medals and were leaving Vegas by 11:00 to try and get home before Brian's plane landed. We were lucky enough to make it! :) He just got home from the South Africa Durban mission and we are soooo glad he is home. We missed him tons! It is going to be so fun to have him back. We were busy all night saturday and into sunday hanging out with him. He had a great mission and it was so fun to hear all about it! Welcome home Elder Bradley. Here are some pictures from that as well.
He is coming down the stairs.....
Finally home! 
He loves sobes so we had one at the airport for him and plenty of them at home. He missed them for 2 years! :)
And he was even lucky enough to get a welcome home on the DQ sign! He must be one pretty cool dude! :) 
We are so glad he is home. Welcome back Brian! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally saw the welcome home elder bradley sign at dairy queen yesterday and I told Jordon that it was your brother and he didn't believe me!

Anonymous said...

P.S. You are hard core to run such a race!

Emily said...

You are amazing! I have heard about the Las Vegas Ragnar, my husband's family wants to do it. I'm not much of a runner since I had knee surgery, but admire people like you and your family for doing it! I'm glad you had so much fun, but sad to hear about that guy that was hit. Also - I'm sure it was a blast to see your brother! I always wanted to welcome home a sibling from a mission, but instead welcomed home some cousins and friends - what a cool experience!

Crystal Escobar said...

what a great weekend you had! How exciting to see your brother again. That relay sounded fun, so sad about the man that died, especially since he had a wife and 3 kids. How awful that must be for the family.